Sonya Stone is an on location photographer in Western North Carolina specializing in portraits of all kinds, especially children and families. You can see more of her work and find information about booking a session at her web site...www.sonyastone.com.

Thursday, July 17, 2008

adoring John Payne


adoring John Payne
Originally uploaded by tgergrl
I am in dismay, totally shocked to learn that master sculptor, John Payne died today. I had a chance encounter with him and his partner, Gwenn, during my Day in the Life of Asheville photo project. I didn't even know who he was at the time. When I looked him up, I was amazed. Check out his web site, www.paynestudios.com. Interactive dinosaurs crafted out of metal, incredible.

I am feeling very sad about his passing and it is all a bit strange. Just a day or two ago, I emailed him to arrange giving him the digital copy of this photo. I don't believe he ever saw it. It feels like a lesson in attention and intention. I said I would send it when I saw him at the River Arts District Studio Stroll. But I procrastinated, thinking of it but never "having time" to pull it off my other hard drive. Just a reminder of the importance of following through with intentions.

In my few brief encounters with John and Gwenn, I was touched. Such sweet people, such deep spirits. I am wishing all of their family and friends much love as they grieve his passing.
God bless you, John.

No comments: